Children scalded during school outdoor activity - June 2018

The BBC are today, 21 June 2018, running an article about how three children in Scotland needed hospital treatment after being scalded by water from a camping kettle.


For us, there are three important messages that are highlighted by this tragic incident:

1. When choosing a training provider, for any kind of training, ask about the skills, experience and qualifications of the instructors - this is a key part of due diligence.

2. Follow the manufacturer's instructions when using equipment designed for the outdoors. If the news report is accurate, the device being used was a Kelly Kettle. There are instructions for this (and most other outdoor equipment) easily available online.

3. Risk assessment skills, first aid skills and first aid equipment are essential parts of the outdoor instructor's toolkit. If you need some help with this, do contact us.



1 view

© 2008-2020 Norwal Limited.

Norwal Limited is registered in England and Wales, Company Number 6279034

Registered Office: The Old Post Office, Rhiwlas, Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 4EP

Telephone: 01248 665060